- Demonstrates an understanding of medical terminology, procedures and diagnosis necessary to perform appropriate scheduling. - Knowledgeable in coding, able to look up codes specific to diagnosis and scheduled procedure.
- Knowledge of patient’s medical history, i.e. allergies, current medications
- Obtains insurance pre-authorization
- Obtains and enters all authorization and correspondence relating to scheduled surgery in EMR/Physicians calendar, surgical assistant and anesthesia scheduling.
- Communicates to patient what the necessary prep is before surgery.
– Follow up on all pre-operative tests to ensure completed and cleared for surgical procedure and communicates with physician and patients if further testing is required before surgery is performed.
- Demonstrates an understanding of patient confidentiality to protect the patient and clinic/corporation - Schedules post-operative follow-up appointments with the Physician.
- Follows policies and procedures to contribute to the efficiency surgery scheduling position
- May provide direction and assistants to lower level employees
- Researches and responds to routine, non-routine, and complex situations in a timely and professional manner
High School diploma or equivalent required.
Position requires at least 5 year medical office work experience.
Knowledge of medical terminology required.
Surgery scheduling experience required.
Must have excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
Proficiency with computer systems and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, and Excel) required.